whatsheread

That's What She Read

Living Dead in Dallas (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #2)

Living Dead in Dallas  - Charlaine Harris "As I finished this particular novel very late Saturday night, er, Sunday morning, it finally dawned on me. I have a problem - I'm addicted to vampires. I mean, what's not to like? They are sexy, mysterious, powerful. They are at the top of the food chain, so to speak. What's more - they've overcome that pesky issue of dying. As someone who struggles daily to come to gripes with her own mortality, my obsession with vampires becomes completely understandable.[return][return]So, I'll admit that I am favorably biased towards all things vampire. The Sookie Stackhouse series is no different. However, my enjoyment of this particular series is not limited to a chance to read about my favorite subject. Rather, it goes beyond that. Some may consider them guilty pleasures, others may consider them popular literature. To me, they are an easy, escapist read that is truly fun.[return][return]Yes, Sookie may be a tad more beautiful than is good for her, but for the most part, she's a normal girl with an unfortunate gift and a habit of getting involved in supernormal events. Her desire to feel normal, appreciated, desired and loved is extremely human. More importantly, the fact that Vampire Bill also wants to be loved indicates that love isn't just for humans.[return][return]Living Dead in Dallas did not disappoint. It's an extremely fast read filled with vampires, shapeshifters, love, sex, conflict, mystery and underneath it all, a desire to live a normal life. And in the end, take away all the power, the supernatural, and the paranormal, isn't that what we all want?"