whatsheread

That's What She Read

Spellbinder

Spellbinder - Helen Stringer "I think I found another new series. And it's not even about vampires or werewolves! It does have ghosts, but it is an unique take on the purpose behind ghosts that kept me turning the pages. In fact, I love the purpose behind needing ghosts in our world. Given my fascination with the supernatural, Ms. Stringer's take on them has more than a hint of plausibility that makes it oh-so-appealing. [return][return] [return][return]Spellbinder is heavy with British slang. Normally, that sort of thing does not bother me, and I can almost always figure out what is meant by the phrase just by the context. I struggled with this book and found that because I was unfamiliar with certain words and phrases that were supposed to be quite commonplace I was taken right out of the story. Considering this is a children's series, I question the heavy use of slang because I am not certain how many 10-year-olds are going to understand what Ms. Stringer means. [return][return][return]Another caveat - this is a kid's series, which means that the character development, plot development, syntax and phrasing is not as adult as I would prefer. At times, it was downright clunky. However, this did not prevent me from finishing the book in one day. In fact, I couldn't wait to finish it and give it to my son to read. (If I can bribe him, I would really like him to write a review of it, so that everyone can see what a member of the target audience thinks about it.)[return][return][return]Even though it is meant to be followed by additional books, I found Spellbinder quite fascinating as a stand-alone book. I do plan on continuing the series as the books are published, but I was very impressed with the detailed other world Ms. Stringer created. Equal parts eerie, scary, and intriguing, I really could not stop myself from reading. I highly recommend this to any fantasy lovers out there looking for a quick and easy read."