whatsheread

That's What She Read

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles Series #1)

Gregor the Overlander  - Suzanne  Collins "I discovered this book after reading Stephanie's review of it. Having loved both The Hunger Games and Catching Fire, I knew I wanted to read some more of Ms. Collins' work. The fact that I could then pass it along to my son to assuage his passion for reading was a definite bonus. I was not disappointed. In fact, I can see where Ms. Collins has had so much success with The Hunger Games. While her writing ability is not polished, her ability to weave a story and create an entire world is spectacular.[return][return][return]There were a few issues I found with the book. Gregor is not completely fleshed out as a main character. While he is sympathetic, I never felt true concern with his plight. At no point in time was I fearful for him and knew without a doubt that the ending would be a happy one. As with other Collins' works, the happy ending is not without its price, which also did not come as much of a surprise. [return][return][return]Spiders, bats, cockroaches, and rats - oh my! Ms. Collins does a great job of bringing them to life, instilling a personality into each of them that I never would have considered possible. I never would have considered cockroaches as particularly endearing, or bats for that matter, but Ms. Collins found a way to do so. This is a testament to her writing ability.[return][return][return]In general, this was another excellent, fast-paced read. I devoured the book in just a few hours and have been pressing my son to pick it up since then. There is an amazing message about family and what it means to be a phenomenal brother and son that is valuable for any child to learn. I would definitely recommend this to other kids, even though I would hesitate to recommend it to other adults. Actually, it would be a great book to read together to discuss the implications of Gregor's actions and truly drive home the message about family. Thank you, Stephanie, for recommending this book!"