whatsheread

That's What She Read

Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #4)

Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #4) - "This one definitely started slower than Ms. Harris' previous novels. I was actually able to put it down for a day or two. I'm also torn about Sookie's increasing involvement with Eric. I liked Bill better, and even Alcide was a better option, in my opinion. So, my heart just wasn't in to reading more about their burgeoning relationship...at first.[return][return]However, the action definitely picked up towards the end, not to mention some fabulous bedroom scenes. This was the first of the series, except for the first one, where I honestly did not figure out how it was going to end. I also made the mistake of bringing the book with me to work today to read during lunch. I may or may not have taken a longer lunch in order to finish it. In my defense, a battle between witches, Wiccans (they are different from witches if you didn't know), werewolves, and vampires is like heaven to anyone who adores the genre, like me. I couldn't stop without figuring out what happened![return][return]Poor Sookie. The girl just can't catch a break, can she? All she wants is to love and be loved in return but is constantly thwarted by factors out of her control. I was a bit bothered that she appeared weaker than normal, not the strong female lead I had found her to be. Then again, when I think that the first five books are supposed to have taken place roughly one month apart from each other, the girl has been through more than most people would be able to handle. Once I figured that out, I was able to cut her some slack and admire her ability to be able to deal with so much in such a short period of time. And this book does pack some emotional punches for her, more so than the previous books. Her relationship with Eric becomes something that she never had with Bill, and I'm curious how this is going to play out in the end.[return][return]A few days ago, I was ready to just chalk this one up to the fact that not all books can be at the same excellent level as previous ones. Authors are allowed one bad novel now and then. However, as I mentioned earlier, the plot picked up in a hurry, and I couldn't turn the pages fast enough. I'll take that as a sign that Ms. Harris did it again. She managed to weave a thrilling action story filled with ""supes"", a bit of a mystery, and even more heartrending decisions for Sookie. It definitely left me wanting more, yet again![return][return]I'm going to give the Sookie Stackhouse series a rest for a few days and pick up some other books that I recently received. But, I have a feeling that my thoughts won't be far from Bon Temps as I wonder what the next installment has in store for Sookie, Bill, and Eric!"