whatsheread

That's What She Read

How to Catch and Keep a Vampire: A Step-By-Step Guide to Loving the Bad and the Beautiful - Diana Laurence "This book can be summed up in one word: fun! I really need to go out and purchase a red satin ribbon. And yes, I now know the dangers of wearing one, but I don't care. To be honest, the red satin ribbon on the cover...and the word ""vampire"" had me requesting this from Shelf Awareness as fast as I possibly could. [return][return][return]If you have ever wanted to understand why someone like me is obsessed with vampires, then this is your book. Ms. Laurence explains the fascination with vampires quite well. She discusses the good, the bad, and the just plain dangerous about vampires, and what makes them so appealing. She also introduced me to a new word that is oh-so-apt: ""vampirophile"". Isn't that great? [return][return][return]The beauty of this book is that it does not take itself seriously. Ms. Laurence inflects humor and lightheartedness into every page. On the surface, it may seem like another frivolous vampire book, but underneath, one gets more than just a tongue-in-cheek book about loving vampires. It offers advice on how to embrace what is truly important to you and how you do not need to apologize to others for your likes and dislikes. In addition, it offers dating advice. In a way, this could almost be termed a women empowerment how-to book. Yes, I know - it was the last thing I expected to find when reading it, but an enjoyable find none the less. [return][return][return]Given the vampire craze today, the timing of this book is perfect, but as I already mentioned, Ms. Laurence uses the popularity of vampires to espouse some very real advice. That does not mean that it is a serious book by any means. It is silly, humorous and just plain enjoyable. I highly recommend it to any other vampirophiles or anyone who does not understand why we love vampires so much![return][return][return]A special thank you to Andy Sturtevant and Sellers Publishing for sending me a copy of this book. I literally squealed out loud when I opened up the package containing it and have been chomping at the bit to read it ever since."