whatsheread

That's What She Read

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs

Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs - Molly Harper It has been far too long since I finished a book, and Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs is exactly what was needed to break that streak.Jane is extremely charming. Her bookishness and gaucheness definitely reminds me of me. I adored the literary references, and I could really see myself being friends with her. A book is definitely more enjoyable when you can relate to the main character and enjoy every time she appears on the page (which is all the time).The entire book stays relatively close to the traditional vampire mythology with only the slightest of tweaks to it. Ms. Harper's vampires have fangs, they cannot expose themselves to the sun, they are sensitive to garlic. However, Ms. Harper's vampires have the benefit of fake blood, a la True Blood, have super powers and have an amazing infrastructure and set of rules to help them co-exist in society. Still, its charm lies in the fact that it makes fun of itself.As with other lighter, more popular contemporary fiction these days, Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs is not going to win any awards for outstanding literature. The writing is trite with very little in the way of detailed descriptions of the backdrop. This novel is character-driven with a subsequent focus on dialogue.However, these negatives are more than offset by its sly mocking of the fantasy and romance genres. This is not a torrid romance, as one might expect. Even better, becoming a vampire does not solve all of Jane's problems. This is a very refreshing viewpoint, even if Ms. Harper still glorifies the perks of vampirism. Overall, I found this a great read. The murder mystery is engaging and definitely kept me reading to determine if I had figured out the responsible party. The fact that Ms. Harper continually mocks at the idea of a murder mystery for those who are already dead and winks at the irony of the entire situation. The reader cannot help but laugh along with Jane and the situations she faces. If you are looking for a fun, quick, charming, and relatively easy paranormal novel, I would highly recommend checking out Nice Girls Don't Have Fangs.