whatsheread

That's What She Read

Silence (Hush, Hush Saga)

Silence - Becca Fitzpatrick Patch and Nora are back in the third novel in the Hush, Hush series. In Silence, the more things change, the more things stay the same. Patch is as mysterious and broody as ever, while Nora continues to make questionable decisions that does nothing but get her into trouble. Unlike in the previous books, however, the Big Bad is known from the very beginning, changing the dynamics of the story for the better. There is no more guessing whether one character or another has an ulterior motive and no more shocking twists and turns. Instead, there is more character development and explanation that strengthens the overall story.I have been rather harsh with Ms. Fitzpatrick's series in the past. If one was to look back at my reviews of the first two books, Hush, Hush and Crescendo, one would wonder why I would even bother reading the latest installment in the saga. For all its faults, there is something about Patch and his past that is extremely compelling. Even in the third book, there is very little about his past that is known. Ms. Fitzpatrick does an excellent job of providing the reader with hints while the full details and history remain frustratingly hazy. Even after three novels, the bad boy with a past story remains one of the saga's best features.Of the three novels, Silence is definitely the strongest. As much as Nora remained annoyingly dense for such an intelligent girl, one cannot fault her courage or tenacity. While she doesn't make the best choices, she does not back down from a challenge, and she is not afraid to stand up for what she thinks is right. Even better, scenes with Vee are kept to a minimum.Let it be said I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed Silence. The cliffhanger ending was not expected, and Ms. Fitzpatrick's writing is definitely improving with each novel. While the Hush, Hush saga is still not the best YA paranormal romantic series out there, it has reached the point where I can unequivocally state that I am looking forward to the next book.