whatsheread

That's What She Read

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer

The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer - Michelle Hodkin The Unbecoming of Mara Dyer was good but not great. The paranormal romance elements were all too familiar, and the writing was elementary at best. As with quite a few series these days, there are too many unanswered questions and open-ended plot points for the story to be satisfactorily resolved. This does not prevent Mara and Noah from being incredibly enjoyable however. Even though Noah is the too predictable perfect boyfriend/foil for Mara, there is something magnetic about his scenes that make them so pleasurable. Mara is a refreshing change from the damsel in distress heroines that permeate the genre, giving Noah a run for his money in stubbornness and independence. The cliffhanger ending is completely unexpected and has the potential to completely change what was previously known by Mara. This all combines to create an uneven novel that I wish I could have enjoyed more than I did. While I am looking forward to the next book in the series, it is not going to be one for which I have to drop everything and read. There are better series with sequels being released this year for that.